" What is "seeing"? No one may be able to explain everything about the image in front of us. We seek out symbols and meaning in the image so as to recognize and comprehend; it is inevitable that we add information to the image. Discoveries vary greatly from viewer to viewer, depending on their social, cultural, and linguistic backgrounds and experiences, as well as their frame of mind and emotions in that instant. That is, the image constantly reinvents itself in the present, and includes the past as memories. "Seeing" is an attitude situated on the vague border between the appearance of an image and our act of attaching meaning to it.
Using time-based media – film, video, photography and sound – I induce the viewer's cognition to be temporarily dislocated in order to postpone the inflexibility of the image captured as a specific symbol or meaning, It can be said that I aim to make viewers blind and compel them to "see" in this state. To do this, a work doesn't necessarily have to be seen, maybe doesn't even need to be present in front of them. In other words, "seeing" is an act of renewing something, of having imagination, and of constantly providing diverse viewpoints and focal points for what we are confronted with.
In my works, image and seeing are one and the same."
2002 – 2006 BA, Tokyo University of the Arts (Tokyo, JP)
2016 - Aomori Contemporary Art Centre / Aomori, JP
2014 – 2015 - Rijksakademie van beeldende kunsten / Amsterdam, NL
2007 - Platr Artist in Residence Program / Phuket, TH
Award / Grant
2014 - Japanese Government Overseas Study Program for Artists / Agency for Cultural Affairs
2009 - Shuji Terayama Prize / Image Forum Festival 2009
- Athens Photo Festival 2018 Main Exhibitions / Benaki Museum, Athens, GR
- Preparing For Darkness Volume 2: Breaking God's Heart / Kühlhaus am Gleisdreieck, Berlin, DE
- Koganecho Bazaar 2017 / Yokohama, JP
- LOOP Fair 2017 Main Selection, Galerie Mazzoli / Barcelona ES
- SOLO exhibition, Seeing, Not Seeing, Galerie Helder, Den Haag, NL
– Canale Grande / Neuer Pfaffenhofener Kunstverein, Pfaffenhofen, DE
– RijksakademieOPEN 2015 / Amsterdam, NL
– The Morning I Killed a Fly / GALLERIA MAZZOLI, Modena, IT
– Hybrids / Galerie Helder, Den Haag, NL
– SOLO exhibition, It has already been ended before you can see the end. / Suburban PS Projection Space, Rotterdam (NL)
– International festival of contemporary photography "Another Dimension" / Novosibirsk State Art Museum, RU
– (IN)CONSTANCY OF SPACE / The Ring Gallery, Zagreb, HR
– Double Vision / kunstliefde, Utrecht NL
– NEW WORLD WATER / DVD / released from SOLCHORD / ISBN: 4862191000