"Through the frame of video and photography, I create images that can readily be perceived but not easily recognized. I expand ‘seeing’ to expose images that pass through our meshes of perception.
In order to make something ‘visible’, we tend to name, symbolize and give meanings to them. In this process, images have already been stiffened when something becomes visible, and we cannot keep gazing how they are. This is the reason why elements pass through our meshes of perception. ‘Seeing’ is not only a way that invisible things turn to be visible, but a state that we keep looking at something ‘invisible’ as they are.
Images in front of us are renewing themselves on the tip of the present including the past. In the present as the whole of time ― time is not linear, not spatial, not numerical and not layers ― I keep looking for images that are interchangeable with ‘seeing’, and I believe that making art works is a way to approach it."
2002 – 2006 BA, Tokyo University of the Arts (Tokyo, JP)
2006 – 2007 Institute of Advanced Media Arts and Sciences (Gifu, JP)
2014 – 2015 - Rijksakademie van beeldende kunsten / Amsterdam, NL
2007 - Platr Artist in Residence Program / Phuket, TH
Award / Grant
2014 - Japanese Government Overseas Study Program for Artists / Agency for Cultural Affairs
2009 - Shuji Terayama Prize / Image Forum Festival 2009
- SOLO exhibition, Seeing, Not Seeing, at galerie Helder
– The Morning I Killed a Fly / GALLERIA MAZZOLI, Modena (IT)
– Hybrids / Galerie Helder, Den Haag (NL)
– RijksakademieOPEN 2014 / Amsterdam, NL
– International festival of contemporary photography “Another Dimension” / Novosibirsk State Art Museum, RU
– (IN)CONSTANCY OF SPACE / The Ring Gallery, Zagreb, HR
– Double Vision / kunstliefde, Utrecht NL
– SICF13 / Spiral, Tokyo, Japan
– Venice Biennale 2009, Souvenir Art / Scalamata gallery, Venice, IT
– I came from Japan. I have not been to Japan. I am neither of the above. / Fordham University Center Gallery, New York, US
– nannanodarouka / Gallery Conseal, Tokyo, JP
– NEW WORLD WATER / DVD / released from SOLCHORD / ISBN: 4862191002